Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Mind-Body Thailand Forum

Visit the Mind-Body Thailand Forum on facebook

Author Topic: DHL MAFIA !!!  (Read 2927 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mindbodythailand.net
DHL MAFIA !!!
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:51:14 PM »
DHL MAFIA !!!

I should have known better!

Mon 1 Jun 2015, 7:23 pm

I do business online with Swanson Vitamins, a big outfit in the U.S. with a huge selection and reasonable prices.  In the past, when I have ordered shipped through the postal service, it has taken awhile to arrive (expected and not a problem), goes directly to Customs who examines the box, assesses duty (usually reasonable), and releases it to the Post Office for delivery. It is a completely seamless, non-issue.

However, recently Swansons has done a deal with DHL for flat $15 fee worldwide, much less than air mail via USPS. I should have known better!  I should have known better!!  I should have known better!!!  I know these couriers (DHL, FedEx, et al) are all MAFIA.  But I allowed myself to be seduced by the $15, and now I reckon it is going to cost me much more than that to get my stuff, and worse, force me to jump psychotically through a bunch of totally unnecessary bureaucratic hoops.    Here is the sad story if you care to read:

1.  Package took about 3 weeks to arrive (at Customs).  No problem, I realize this is a special DHL worldwide cheapie program.

2.  This is the short version:  Call from DHL advises package has arrived at Customs and that I need to sign “some forms” and provide "some documents" to expedite the deliver.  Seven (!!!) documents in Thai Language (!) arrive by e-mail, including photocopies of the ID cards to two people I am supposed to sign giving them “power of attorney” to clear customs. I was instructed that one of the forms had to be altered because the name of the recipient was some guy in Chiang Mai. Thankfully, my assistant helped me with the forms, but she could not  tell me exactly I was signing.  Then, 4 (!!!!) signed copies of my passport.

3.  Fon called to make sure everything was in order and was told that I needed to provide my actual physical  passport in addition to the copies.  We told them, of course, that was out of the question. No problem!  For an additional 500 THB that could be worked around!!!

It doesn’t sound so bad putting it to paper, but it has taken four days and a huge hassle collecting documents, making copies, signing copies, communicating with DHL, et al. It looks like I will eventually get my package, but I am cringing at the impending bill which will not only be exorbitant at it’s face, but will also include in addition  a string of little inscrutable charges that will amount to several hundred baht more,  probably. Then, and this is the BEST part; they will charge me an ADDITIONAL 800-1,200 baht for acting as my “agent” to get everything cleared!!! Clearly they are acting as an agent for the MAFIA or somebody, certainly not on my behalf.
If I had not had completely seamless, problemless experiences via the post office, I might just be incllined to blame Customs and the "banana republic" bureaucracy and just grin and bear it.  But this is clearly not coming from Customs.  It is a second-tier of psychotic,  income-producing bureaucracy that adds insult-to-injury-to-insult-to-injury that DHL is imposing between me and Customs who get along just fine, thank you very much, without DHL’s “help.”

Living in Thailand a long time, I have learned to lower my expectatoins, and not approach Thai <deleted>-ups  "ethnocentrically." However, DHL (and FedEx, et al) is Western-based company operating internationally, and the DHL Western management philosophy comes from the top down.  I do expect more from this company!

MickT

• View Profile
Re: DHL MAFIA !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 01:51:48 AM »
Have you found a way to work around this hassle filled process? The story reminded me of others I have heard from foreigners - in different countries.

The stuff about power of attorney and passports rings every possible alarm bell in my head. It may not be custom's fault but surely they can do something to change it?

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mindbodythailand.net
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 03:23:18 AM »
No workarounds.  Just avoid using DHL/FedEx for anything other than documents and low value stuffs.  Use the post office instead, ideally EMS which has tracking and service similar to DHL, et al.  When goods arrive in Thailand they go to customs first, then the particular carrier has to get clearance.  For some reason, the post office is much more relaxed about the process and is not predatory with duty and fees. 

Bev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 01:51:31 AM »
Maybe the post office has a deal with the customs office to process stuff through it a lot quicker?  DHL probably doesn't have any deals with customs to get their stuff through with less hassle.