Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Mind-Body Thailand Forum

Visit the Mind-Body Thailand Forum on facebook

Author Topic: Healthy Thai food  (Read 3180 times)

MelWanders

• View Profile
Healthy Thai food
« on: September 25, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »
I absolutely adore Thai food. The mix of heat and those creamy curry bases is heaven to my palate, but sadly not to my waistline, and I gained quite a lot of weight as a result when I first lived in Thailand. Now when I visit I try to balance my diet a little more, so not every meal includes things like coconut based curries or fancy rices.

How does everyone here manage their diet? I'd love to hear about the healthier choices you enjoy, so I can try them too.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mindbodythailand.net
Re: Healthy Thai food
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 06:03:51 AM »
Unfortunately, it is a effort to eat healthy in Thailand.  :o{  See what happens when you ask for  stir-fried veges, and they throw a handful of sugar into the wok,  they can't stir-fry anything without adding sugar!  The oil they us is often palm oil, the most trans-fatty, cholesterol-laden oil in the known  universe!  There seems to be a Thai prejudice against any food in it's natural state, they feel compelled to "improve" it in some way.   If it is not hot and spicy, it's sugary.  Most mayonnaise tastes like vinegary vanilla pudding to , and all the bread stuff tastes like cake.    Sigh!

Happily, there is plenty of really good vegie food.  Look for the yellow signs with a what looks like a weird numeral 17. Bzillions in Bangkok,  wonderful ones in Chiang Mai (google "Blue Diamond + Chiang Mai), and plenty upcountry.  You just have to try several, and get in with a network of people who can point you to the good ones.

MelWanders

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I too cringe when people add unnecessary fats and sugars to food that really doesn't need it. I wonder how some people have any taste buds left to be honest.

Tripadvisor can be quite a good resource for tracking down veggie places in a specific city or area. Have you ever used it?

Jozie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 02:05:58 PM »
This is an interesting discussion because I'd always assumed Thai food was healthy. Maybe it's because rice seems better for you than fries, or that I imagine everyone eating tropical fruit all day.

Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 12:50:11 AM »
Unnecessary sugar and fat drives me crazy! The right combination of vegetables can be naturally sweet on its own without adding sugar into the mix. It's good to know that healthy choices are available in certain places.