Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Mind-Body Thailand Forum

Visit the Mind-Body Thailand Forum on facebook

Author Topic: Have you "gone native"?  (Read 1883 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mindbodythailand.net
Have you "gone native"?
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »
Quote from: someguy
I find most thai foods to be much more healthy than what we farangs normally would eat; e.g., shrimp, fish (ocean and fresh water), all kind of green vegetables, some chicken (less the skin), the other white meat, tom yum. som tom, and rice vs beef and potatoes.  I prefer most of the meals to be spicy so chilis and garlic are the norm!

Sat 12 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

This seems to come up a lot.  Some expats who live in Thailand for awhile embrace and adopt Thai lifestyle and culture, some more than others, of course.  While embracing and adopting is fine, I find it annoying when this extends to being judgmental toward those who have not embraced as much as the OP, such as in the excerpt quoted above from another forum.

"...what most farang normally would eat" covers a lot of territory!  I am not even sure what that means, exactly. Obviously fast-food is unhealthy,  and the traditional American "meat & potatoes" leaves a lot to be desired.. Certainly some Thai food is more healthy than some falang food, but that can misleading. For example, what ever gave you the idea that shrimp is healthy?  It is full of toxins and v. high in cholesterol!   Fish has mercury and other toxins, and one needs to be very careful of that, and limit intake. If you are lucky enough to get fish that has not been contaminated, I suppose that is a different story.  If this sounds surprising, google it.  

As to typical Thai cooking,  they seem to put a handful of sugar and lots of salt  into almost everything they cook. If it isn't spicy-hot enough to burn through your intestines, it is disgustingly sweet.   Nearly all of the baked goods and condiments  are much too sweet for my taste.  Most of the mayonnaise, for example,  tastes like vanilla pudding gone rancid.  Yuck!  Even much of the stuff I get from the veggie restaurants is sickly sweet! After booze and drugs (or maybe before booze and drugs) excess sugar and other simple carbohydrates are  probably the worst thing you can put into your body and driving the high mortality rate in Western countries due to diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.

I am not trying to tell anybody what to eat or not eat.  Ain't no skin off my nose!  I am only suggesting that the idea that (most) Thai food is really healthy is more an urban  myth than anything else.

XeReX

Bev

• View Profile
Re: Have you "gone native"?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »
I find it hard to believe that all foods are prepared with a lot of sugar and salt. I would venture to say that it depends on where you eat.  Like anywhere else, it depends on the cook and how much of one or the other he/she is used to cooking with.  Vegetables are usually good for you regardless of the topping.  I've had Thai food that wasn't salty or sweet, as well as American food that isn't just meat and potatoes.