Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Mind-Body Thailand Forum

Visit the Mind-Body Thailand Forum on facebook

Poll

What practice(s) do you do at least once a week?

oga
0 (0%)
aiChi-Qigong
0 (0%)
ilates
0 (0%)
lexander Technique
0 (0%)
eldenkrais
0 (0%)
itting meditation
1 (100%)
ther
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Tell us about your mind-body practices(s)  (Read 1992 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mindbodythailand.net
Tell us about your mind-body practices(s)
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:29:57 AM »
Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:16 am

Good Morning All,

[*=1]Tell us a little about your mind-body practice(s).  
    [/LIST]

[*=1]Which ones have you done in the past?
      [/LIST]

[*=1]Which one(s) do you do these days at least one day a week?
        [/LIST]

[*=1]Tell us about your search for the ones that finally "clicked" for you?
          [/LIST]

[*=1]What is it that you get of your practice?
            [/LIST]

[*=1]How would you compare type of practice with the others?
              [/LIST]

[*=1]What advice do you have for someone just getting started?
                [/LIST]

[*=1]Finally, what did I leave out of the poll you think should have been included?
                  [/LIST]

Please take a minute to respond to the poll.

Thanks, lah!  Have a great day.

Rex

freejack

• View Profile
                  « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »
                  I meditate each morning. Sometimes in the evening before bed. And it's possible to do meditation exercises while walking or doing almost everything. Meditation is like a tuning fork for me. When I get out of tune, due to stress, or whatever, the meditation tunes me back in to what is "real" so to speak. I think I tried other meditations years ago, but I don't remember too well. This meditation is taught be a meditation "master" from India. He doesn't describe himself as that.

Anyway, I came to find that this mediation has been taught in India forever and is nothing too special. It's a yoga form of meditation, based on what I've read, but I haven't looked into it too much. I never was much of a "follower" and I'm definitely not one now. I "follow" the meditation, so to speak.

I think its important for people to find that peace inside of themselves. Let the crazy world keep crazy and drop out for a bit. The world will still continue to be crazy. It's like life is a busy freeway, and it's good for us to get off the freeway and take a break at the rest stop.

People should look around and see what mind body practices work for them. Try different things. For some people, it's all about exercise. And exercise can be very helpful for feeling good and having a good state of mind. Along with the endorphins, you can't go wrong.

After I meditate, I just feel good. I feel whole. I feel inner peace. Each morning of meditation is renewal. I feel like I can separate myself from the craziness of the world.

Another mind-body exercise, besides long walks and long runs, is reading fiction. I read quite a bit. Fiction is food for our souls. On a Harvard Business Review podcast, a fellow on there said that reading fiction is very helpful to solving problems in life. Even if the story does not relate to your situation, often in books there is some issue or problem that get solved. Unconsciously, reading fiction helps us solve problems in our own lives.

I just find that reading before bed and in my vanpool on my Nook ereader allows me to escape the "real" world around us which is constantly inundating us and take a break from it all. I would characterize it as another form of mediation.

Another mind-body practice is simply socializing and shooting the breeze. Although I'm the type where I like solitude and people tend to wear me down (at work or in crowds, for instance), a little socializing can help relieve me of my own mind due to spending it on long walks and reading and meditating and so on.

jijome

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »
                  yoga is one of my favourite mind body practice.. i do this everyday..i would reccomend this to people who are in stressed and depressed

Jane McCafferty

• View Profile
                  « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 11:03:49 PM »
                  Yoga every day!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:27:01 PM by Jane McCafferty »

Admin

• Administrator
                    • View Profile
                    • http://www.mindbodythailand.net
                  « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 04:45:26 AM »
                  Thu 13 Mar 2014, 11:37 am

Hi Jane!  What  stylize of yoga do you do?   Do you take class and have a home practice?  Are you in Thailand, or where in the world are you?  

I like Iyengar yoga, and we are VERY lucky to have an accredited Iyengar studio in Bangkok.  Justin, the owner, was on the  board of Iyengar Los Angeles, and studied with Guruji in Pune. I don't practice yoga any more, but if I did, and if I lived in Bangkok or elsewhere with an Iyengar teacher close by, that is what I would definitely commit myself to.   For the past few years, I have practiced TaiChi QiGong which is much more my speed, literally and figuratively than the more intense styles of yoga.  However, I just learned that our local yoga studio is doing Yin Yoga classes several times a month.  I really like Yin Yoga, but have not done any in a long time.  I can handle that, and visit one of the the classes soon.  Don't have an excuse not to really, as the studio is within walking distance of my house!